This article explains each step of setting up an LTI 1.3 integration with Talis Elevate.
You will need to create a tool deployment and placement in Moodle and then send some information to Talis for us to complete the deployment registration.
NO plugin code is required to use this integration.
You can configure tools in your staging and production moodle accounts. In both cases, Talis will link these to your live Talis Elevate tenancy so you can see how the LTI integration would behave with live lists.
For frequently asked questions, see this article: LTI 1.3 - Talis Elevate FAQ
You will need to be a Moodle administrator who can manage external tool registrations.
To complete this task, you will need approximately 20 minutes at most.
Step by step instructions
- In Moodle, go to : Dashboard >> Site administration >> Plugins >> Activity modules >> External tool >> Manage tools
- Click ‘configure a tool manually’
- Tool Name - A student facing name for this tool. e.g. `Talis Elevate`
- Tool Url - enter the following exactly:
- Tool Description - A student facing description of this tool.
- LTI Version - choose 1.3
- Public key type - select 'Keyset URL' from the options
- Public Keyset - enter the following exactly:
- Initiate Login URL - enter the following exactly:
- Redirection URIs - enter the following exactly
- Custom parameters
- Tool Configuration usage
- Show in activity chooser as a pre configured tool - this will be the easiest option as it will make this tool appear in the Activity Chooser when academics are building their module content. You may wish to also customise Icons used for this tool (the options are hidden behind the 'show more' link at the bottom of the form).
- Default Launch Container - choose as necessary - this governs whether the link is opened in a new window or within a moodle window with or without the sidebar. Results may vary and you may need to consult your Moodle theme designer if there are any display issues with the size of the iFrame used by the inbuilt Moodle LTI.
- Supports Deep Linking - tick this checkbox
- Content Selection URL - enter the following exactly:
- Services Section
- Talis don't use any of these services
- Privacy Section
- Share launcher's name with tool - Always
- Share launcher's email with tool - Always
- Talis don't need any specific settings here.
- Click 'Save changes'.
- You will be taken to the list of configured tools.
- Click on the ‘list’ icon at the top of the configuration card.
- This will show you all the tool details which you need to give to Talis. You can use the email button to email these to yourself or someone else!
- Raise a ticket by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and Talis will do the next part of the tool registration to link Talis Elevate with your Moodle instance.
You will send the following fields.
- Platform ID
- Client ID
- Deployment ID
- Public keyset URL
- Access token URL
- Authentication request URL
- Once Talis confirm that registration is complete, you will be able to test the tool by adding content to a module.