This article explains each step of setting up an LTI 1.3 integration with Talis Aspire Reading Lists.
You will need to register an LTI Tool and then send some information to Talis for us to complete the deployment registration.
NO plugin code is required to use this integration.
You can configure tools in your staging and production Blackboard accounts. In both cases, Talis will link these to your live Talis Aspire Reading Lists tenancy so you can see how the LTI integration would behave with live lists.
For frequently asked questions, see this article: LTI 1.3 - Talis Aspire FAQ
You will need to be a Blackboard administrator who can manage LTI Tool Providers.
To complete this task, you will need approximately 20 minutes at most.
To test that LTI is working as expected you will need:
- To enable cookies in your browser. The LTI specification requires a 'state cookie' to make the LTI connection. Read more about LTI Cookies.
- To not use an incognito browser (especially if it disable cookies)
- To already have a user account in Talis Aspire which allows you to edit reading lists, if you are testing the academic workflow
Step by step instructions
Note that some values are different depending on whether your Talis Aspire tenancy is located in the EU/APAC or Canada regions. Check your usual tenancy URL (navigate to any list) and if you see '.ca.talis.com' as part of the domain, use the Canadian setting.
- In Blackboard, go to : Admin >> Integrations >> LTI Tool Providers
- Select Register LTI 1.3 Advantage Tool
- Enter Talis' Client ID for the tool you are adding.
- EU/APAC - use Client ID: 714a6420-32d1-4005-b63b-525c881fdcbb
- Canada - use Client ID: 6a8cb0a0-faa5-47e2-b036-31d75d66e5bf
- Note: You can only add the Client ID to your instance once. If you try to re-add it, and it already exists, you will overwrite your existing client config with the config from the Talis application. See note on placements below.
- Click Submit
- In the role section, make sure that user role, name and email are shared with the tool.
- You should not need to change anything else at this point.
- Click Submit Again if needed.
- View the tool you have just created and Look at the Tool Status section. You will find
- Deployment ID
- Raise a ticket by emailing email@example.com and Talis will do the next part of the tool registration to link Talis Aspire Reading Lists with your Blackboard instance.
You will send the following fields.
- Tell us which region you are in.
- Deployment ID
- Give us examples of module codes in Blackboard and module codes as seen in Talis Aspire's Hierarchy.
- Once Talis confirm that registration is complete, you will be able to test the tool by adding content to a module.
Important Note on Placements
When you create an LTI tool Configuration using the official Talis Client IDs the Placements are named with the names we used in the application config.
You can rename these to suit your student audience.
If you try and re-add the Talis LTI application using the Client ID, it WILL OVERWRITE any local changes to placement names.
If you need to add a Talis Aspire tool to your tenancy twice for some reason, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we can help understand your use case and the best configuration options.
Checking that you have the Latest Version of the LTI 1.3 Tool
Adding a link to the LTI 1.3 Tool for all courses