This article explains each step of setting up an LTI 1.3 integration with Talis Aspire Reading Lists.
You will need to create a tool deployment in Canvas and then send some information to Talis for us to complete the deployment registration.
NO plugin code is required to use this integration.
You can configure tools in your staging and production Canvas accounts. In both cases Talis will link these to your live Talis Aspire Reading Lists tenancy so you can see how the LTI integration would behave with live lists.
For frequently asked questions, see this article: LTI 1.3 - Talis Aspire FAQ
You will need to be a Canvas administrator who can manage Developer Key registrations.
To complete this task, you will need approximately 20 minutes at most.
To test that LTI is working as expected you will need:
- To enable cookies in your browser. The LTI specification requires a 'state cookie' to make the LTI connection.
- To not use an incognito browser (especially if it disable cookies)
- To already have a user account in Talis Aspire which allows you to edit reading lists, if you are testing the academic workflow
Step by step instructions
Note that some values are different depending on whether your Talis Aspire tenancy is located in the EU/APAC or Canada regions. Check your usual tenancy URL (navigate to any list) and use the values below which have the same domain root.
- In Canvas, go to : Admin >> [choose the organisation account] >> Developer Keys
- Click '+ Developer Key' Choose to add a new LTI Key.
- Fill in the form:
- Key Name - Something to help you recognise this in the future.
- Title - Something meaningful as it will be visible to students
- Description - Something meaningful as it will be visible to students
- Target Link URI - enter the following exactly:
- EU/APAC - https://rl.talis.com/lti/1p3/launch
- Canada - https://rl.ca.talis.com/lti/1p3/launch
- OpenID Connect Initiation URL - enter the following exactly:
- EU/APAC - https://rl.talis.com/lti/1p3/oidc_login
- Canada - https://rl.ca.talis.com/lti/1p3/oidc_login
- JWK Method - Choose Public JWK URL
- Public JWK URL - enter the following exactly:
- EU/APAC - https://rl.talis.com/lti/1p3/jwks
- Canada - https://rl.ca.talis.com/lti/1p3/jwks
- LTI Advantage Services section
- Talis don't use any of these services
- Additional Settings section
- No additional settings are required here.
- At this time only Link Selection placements are supported.
- Deselect anything other than 'Link Selection'
- In the Link Selection section
- Select Message Type - LtiDeepLinkingRequest
- Text - This Identifies the link to students.
- Add an Icon URL if you have a custom icon for this placement.
- Click Save
- In the list of developer IDs, capture the client id which is in the `Details` column. The client ID appears above the button ‘Show key’ (do not click the button, we don't want the key). We need this Client ID later.
- Go to: Admin >> [choose the organisation account] >> Settings >> Apps
- Click on `View App Configurations`
- Click on `+ App`
- Change `Configuration Type` to `By Client ID`
- Enter the Client ID saved earlier. (keep a note of it as we'll need it again)
- Submit and Install the App
- In the list of installed External Apps, click on the Cog button to the right of the new app.
- Select Deployment ID
- Capture the Deployment ID.
- Raise a ticket by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and Talis will do the next part of the tool registration to link Talis Aspire Reading Lists with your Canvas instance.
You will send the following fields.
- Client ID
- Deployment ID
- Once Talis confirm that registration is complete, you will be able to test the tool by adding content to a module.