Welcome to the September 2019 Talis Product and Services Update
The beginning of the new academic year is always a busy time, Talis are as ever ready to meet the demand and scale as required so that each new and returning student has the access to resources they require to start their studies. Please report any issues encountered at this very busy time by raising a support ticket with the relevant priority as described in What happens when I raise a support case?
New List Edit - update
Over 40 Universities are now using the New List Edit as the default for their tenancy. Do take a look at our New List Edit - Overview article which contains links to the growing collection of documentation we provide to support users. If you would like to enable New List Edit as the default for your tenancy then please raise a support ticket so we can liaise with you about this process.
EU Web Accessibility Directive
On 23rd September the EU Web Accessibility Directive came into force. You can read how Talis are ensuring compliance by viewing our newly updated Accessibility Statement. As part of this work a link to the new statement will shortly be added to the Talis Aspire interface, and there's more information about what we are doing in response to the web accessibility directive in this blog post.
What has been released this month?
- Whilst many of you are in the transitional phase of having New List View by default for all lists but only some users with access to New List Edit the following issue had been reported: once a user who has access to Classic edit ONLY saved an unpublished change it was not obvious from the list that this was the case, with some thinking changes had been lost. We have made this more obvious now that there are unpublished changes whilst in this transitional phase. The 'Edit & Publish' button returns the user to the Classic edit screen. Note that once you have fully moved across to New List Edit as the default for your tenancy this issue no longer occurs as you will always be in the edit screen with your unpublished changes visible. Please note that the 'View > As Student' option is always the latest Published view.
- From the New List Edit screen you can share an item without needing to go to the 'View > As Student' first. This was actioned following user feedback that this was a useful feature from the Edit screen when discussing items with colleagues and students.
New ideas raised on the Talis Ideas Forum
The Talis Ideas Forum is a great opportunity for you to add your ideas and enhancements you would like to see in Talis Aspire and to view what others are requesting and add your use cases and votes. This month the following ideas have been added:
- Option to schedule metadata refresh - Vote here
- Ability to edit the wording on the display of the Time period message for upcoming time periods - Vote here
The following articles have been added as new content to our support site this month:
If there are support articles that you would like to see added please do let us know or if you would like to contribute to the Community Contributions get in touch.
What bookmark recognisers have been created this month?
- Marxists Internet Archive (via browser extension)
Is what you are bookmarking working as you expect? If not please raise a support ticket.
To join our developer community, please email email@example.com. To see previous newsletters, please visit the Talis blog.
Do you have concerns about a support ticket you have raised?
If the urgency of the problem has increased and you now have tighter time constraints than before, please email Laura Unwin with your ticket details, and the reason for escalation along with your contact details. We will then work to review the issues and prioritise as appropriate and inform you of the next steps.