Talis Aspire Reading Lists supports the automatic creation of user profiles when a User logs in for the first time.
This article describes what information to send and how to send it in order to make use of this functionality.
On The University Side
You will need to send us the following four pieces of information to fill out the required fields in Talis Aspire. These should be sent as SAML attributes.
Talis can not help you with configuring your specific SAML IDP, as each University will have its own specific mix of authentication systems and data flows. The administrator of your University SAML2 Identity Provider (IDP) will need to do this for you.
|SAML Attribute Name in the eduPerson Object Class Specification||Talis Aspire Profile Field||Description|
|First Name||The first or given name of the user|
|Surname||The Family or Surname of the user|
||Email Address||The email of the user. Note that a profile will not be created if the email address is already in use by another profile.|
|I'd describe myself as||staff is mapped to 'academic' and any other value is mapped to 'undergraduate'. See Notes for more info.|
If the SAML attribute names do not appear exactly as described above, then the value will not be included in the user's profile.
On the Talis Side
You will need to raise a support ticket asking us to enable this on your tenancy.
Talis will ask you some questions, and help you test that the required parameters are being passed correctly, and then once ready, they will configure this for you.
- Users can still edit their profiles after they have been created.
- The I'd describe myself as field in Talis Aspire is only used for reporting purposes and Users can change this as they wish. It is known as 'Job role' in the all list users report.
- No permissions or privileges are granted to the user by the use of the scoped affiliation.
- Please see setting up devolved constraints for more on conferring permissions to users at the point of log in.
- The specification only defines a limited set of possible values for the scoped affiliation. faculty, student, staff, alum, member, affiliate, employee, library-walk-in.
- In Talis Aspire, staff is mapped to 'an academic' and anything else is mapped to 'an undergraduate'. There is no direct mapping for any other values.
- Profiles are not automatically updated after the first login