Talis Elevate offers three levels of analytics to consider:
- Glimpse: Within a resource
- Explore: Within the Elevate Manager
- Analyse: Access the RAW Event data and attach to your Learning Analytics Project
Glimpse Level Analytics (In resource)
We have built Talis Elevate to enable core functionality from within your Learning Management System (aka. VLE). Therefore you can access resource and module analytics from within resources directly. These have been designed to be quick to understand, easy to interrogate and easy to ascertain what the difference is between each student.
To see the analytics for a resource, click the avatar icon in the top right corner of the player, and select "Analytics":
You will be greeted with a screen that looks like this:
What does this actually show?
Activity for the resource
The analytics screen opens on the Resource tab, showing a summary of the views and engagements for this specific resource. This is broken down into four tiles:
- How many students have viewed this resource - a visual representation as well as the statistics on how many students have viewed the resource vs those that have not.
- How long have students spent on this resource - showing the range of time spent engaging with the resource, displaying figures for minimum, median and maximum time spent. This is calculated according to students who have actively accessed the resource as opposed to the number of students identified as being part of the module.
- How many class comments have been made - showing the total figure for comments on the resource, as well as the number of students that made comments on the resource our of the total number enrolled.
- Which parts of this resource are being used - using a bar chart to show the breakdown of engagements throughout the resource. This chart is interactive, so if you click on a single bar you will see details on where within the resource this bar is referencing, and the average number of sessions where students were actively engaging with that part of the resource. For example:
Activity by a student
The second tab on the glimpse analytics screen, titled Students, shows you the length of time each student in the unit/module has spent using this resource. This is based on how much ACTIVE engagement we have observed from the student in question within the given time period. Below is a small segment from the Students tab as an example:
Students are ordered from the most engaged to least engaged, based on the sum time of their engagement during the time the resource has been available. The standard deviation of the cohorts engagements is calculated and presented on screen as upper quartile, median (also displaying the median time value), and lower quartile, allowing you to easily identify how long individuals are engaging with the resource, and who might need additional guidance in the class.
The lower quartile will include those students who have logged in but not yet engaged with the resource, as well as a total figure for those students that have not yet logged in at all. For example:
Students can also see their own engagement data at a resource level if this has been enabled for your institution. More information on what data students can see can be found in our support article: What do these analytics mean?
What does active engagement mean?
We have built logic into Talis Elevate to better define this. For example, we stop the timer:
- If a student is inactive on a resource for a sustained period of time,
- If a user has the active tab on another webpage,
- If a user is skimming through pages, we do not record this as activity on each page.
However, we record activity if a user is:
- Highlighting elements of text,
- Using the toolbar navigation tools (e.g search),
- Writing a personal note,
- Writing a class comment.
This data is also fed up to our 'Exploratory Analytics' area. See this article to find out more.
Need further support? Click the 'Raise a ticket' button below