Targeted rollover is a new bulk list action that allows you to select subsets or individual lists for rollover, giving greater flexibility in the rollover process.
The bulk rollover process is still available for the rollover model where a single source time period is rolling over to a single target time period, such as whole academic years. This process is detailed in support article - Rollover overview Talis Aspire Reading Lists
Bulk list actions allow you to change the status of a filtered selection of lists from the All lists report. This article will guide you through targeted rollover as a bulk list action using the All Lists report. Permissions required for this bulk action are explained in - What is a role and what is a permission
Other bulk actions mentioned in this process are detailed in this article - Bulk list actions
Steps to success
- University: If you have Talis Aspire Digitised Content it is important that you liaise with the team that manages this. The reading list rollover needs to happen before the digitised content rollover.
- University: Request to add new time periods via a new support ticket. Include the following detail: Time Period Name (<start date> to <end date>) dates formatted as YYYY-MM-DD. Find out more about time periods.
- If using targeted rollover for smaller subsets of lists you do not need to advise Talis ahead of the rollover of your planned date, but give ample notice for time period set up requests.
- Talis: Add the new time periods to the tenancy and confirm to University.
- University: Determine if the lists should rollover as draft or published. With the increased flexibility provided by bulk publish and bulk archive you may now make different choices about your rollover copies and older lists.
This is a short video (5.23 mins) showing the process of targeted rollover:
Process step by step
- You can filter your selection of lists by title or hierarchy code or source time period/s.
- Check for lists with the status 'Published with unpublished changes', note that only the last published version will rollover. You should decide if you wish to publish the changes first, noting that you can carry out a bulk publish action to do so or publish list by list, allowing that to complete before proceeding. If you decide not to publish these lists and choose to archive the older lists note that draft changes will be lost.
- Check your filters are still in place for the set of lists you wish to rollover from, and select 'List Status: Published'. Please note 'Archived' and 'Draft' lists will not rollover and if selected will result in failed jobs for those lists.
- Set the Rollover Copy filter to 'Is empty', this will ensure you are not attempting to rollover lists already rolled over and help you manage what is left within the selection to rollover. Not selecting this filter will result in failed jobs for those lists that have already rolled over as a list can only rollover once.
- Once you have filtered the selection in this way you still may wish to narrow the selection in order to split across different target time periods. You can do this with the list selection check boxes.
- You can change the number of rows you are viewing if you have a particularly large selection to work through.
- When ready select 'Rollover' from the Actions menu and make your choices.
- Please note we have a minimum number of filters that are required to be set to avoid mistakes in the selection and will warn on these at this point if not in place. However, please do heed the advice highlighted in the screenshot below.
- Once submitted the rollover job can be tracked in the Review Jobs screen, and a completion email will be sent to the requester when completed. Please note: allow up to 48 hours for a targeted rollover bulk list action to process as this is a background job
- Once completed you can rerun the filters and those rolled over will not appear in the data if the Rollover Copy filter is set to 'Is empty', meaning you can deal with the remaining lists in that selection and further rollovers can be done.