Product Update Summary
We would like to update you on the progress of some of our key product development themes.
In this month's Product Update Webinar we looked at the latest developments in new list view and list edit, as well as the growing number of bulk actions which are available.
List UX Refresh
We have kicked off the list edit early beta with a number of University partners, having reached a parity of features with classic list edit. We are working with these partners to understand any issues or problems encountered and to listen to any feedback they may have. To see how this is coming along, we have given an update in this month's Product Update Webinar.
We now have over 65 Universities, more than half of our user group, that are already using the new list view for all their lists. See the releases of interest section for some of the recent improvements; there may have been some areas that we have now resolved that were holding back your decision to upgrade.
- Hierarchy and Student numbers can now be edited in new list view
- Review Request and Review History are now available in new list view
If you have questions or wish to know more, please raise a support case.
We have made improvements on how you manage list privacy within your institution. There may be a number of reasons you wish to make selected lists private, for example, to identify unique users in Learning Analytics data. Changing to private forces the user to login in order to see the lists and therefore via a unique identifier the user can be identified as new or returning. Likewise, you may have some lists you wish to remain public for various reasons, for example, to link through to course guidance for prospective students as indicative lists. This article on List Privacy will guide you through how you can make some or all of your lists private, with the flexibility of making some lists public and vice versa.
The Talis Aspire book supplier integrations allows users to find a resource on their preferred book supplier site from within the reviews area. We have recently enabled a link to OttoEditions from the reviews area of Talis Aspire.
For details of this and our other book supplier integrations, please see this support article.
Talis Aspire Reading Lists
- We have addressed a reported issue in regards to the display of digital copy weblinks in new list view. Previously if there was a digital copy weblink on the Chapter/Article tab of a bookmark and a digital copy weblink on the Book /Journal, only the Chapter/Article digital copy weblink would display in the availability section on new list view. Now all digital copy weblinks are displayed regardless of their position on the bookmark.
- We have released the ability to add, edit and change hierarchy association and student numbers on the new list view. This is located in the 'Edit' menu of the new list view. The functionality here is in parity to Classic list view, so the same permissions to make changes or access the modal will apply. For further details on how this feature works see the updated article: Hierarchy and student numbers
- We have added direct access to our support documentation in Talis Aspire Reading Lists (TARL) for Reviews. On the bottom right corner of any screen within Reviews you will see the Help button; click it to search through relevant support articles or raise a request directly from Reviews. This is the start of how we can improve onboarding of new users, and we hope to share more of integrations like this over time
- We are making progress on the review and publish workflows in new list edit, and as a result we have been able to release the ability to request a review and navigate to an open review from the new list view edit menu. Ability to access the review is permission based, for more information see What is a role and what is a permission. As we continue to progress to fully support the review and publish workflows, updates will be given via our normal Product Update communication channels
- We have now made the ability to Bulk Publish an action available from the All Lists report, for full details on how this works please refer to Bulk list actions
- We have improved access to the real time student numbers on a review. A while back we identified it wasn't obvious that the student numbers that were shown on the item view within reviews where cached at the point the review was requested, and that only the View Breakdown provided real time figures. At the time we took the decision to remove those cached student numbers and instead display the link to the View Breakdown modal. We have now been able to reinstate This List and All Lists data on the item view of the review to facilitate an 'at a glance' check whilst the View breakdown will give the detail on the actual lists, importances, time period and resource type. Also as part of this improvement we have now enabled student numbers to be surfaced where there isn't a common identifier such as an LCN, ISBN or DOI - these use the resource ID that is generated at the point of bookmarking.
- You can now view Review History from the edit menu on new list view and new list edit
- Following user feedback we have changed search terminology in our Reports from 'Contains' to 'Contains exact' which is more reflective of the results the search will yield
- We now use a centralised Book Jacket service rather than the feed from chosen Bookstores in Reviews, following a recent Bookstore API integration failing to provide results and causing issue with access and performance in reviews
- Profile screen in Talis Aspire Reading Lists no longer asks for ‘Main Discipline’; this was based on feedback that the function didn’t cover enough variation or localisation on subjects. As it wasn’t mandatory, no meaningful trends could be taken from the data available so we decided this was no longer adding value and have therefore removed
You can stay up-to-date with our releases by regularly visiting our Product Update page which includes all improvements or fixes released in Talis Aspire.
Talis Aspire Reading Lists (TARL) and Talis Aspire Digitised Content (TADC) are permanently undergoing incremental improvements. Do you have an idea for a feature that you'd like to see implemented? If so, do raise it with us via the Ideas forum, together with a few lines explaining what value you think it will add to the system. Other users can also view your idea and vote for which features they would like to see developed.
12 ideas have been raised this month:
Talis Aspire Reading Lists
- Return to same point on list after editing bookmark in new list view - Vote here
- Search tool on new list view to include ability to search text in notes - Vote here
- Add multiple book vendors to item records - Vote here
- Sorted list of time periods when running reports - Vote here
- LTI custom parameter for message when no list available - Vote here
- Allow us to edit the default subject line of "review is complete" message - Vote here
- Add article authentication at Reviews stage so errors can be picked up at this point - Vote here
- Create new resource format "Article without Authentication" - Vote here
- View Online button to be made more noticeable on new student interface - Vote here
- Customisable text and labels - Vote here
Talis Aspire Digitised Content
- Add the ability to either hide or remove time periods from TADC - Vote here
- Request digitisation for resources which have online resource button ticked - Vote here
For more details on the Ideas Forum, please see this article.
Support Articles of Interest
We've recently updated our advice on how to carry out a rollover in Talis Aspire Digitised Content. Do take a look if you'd like a step-by-step guide:
Have you developed something innovative with Talis Aspire? If so, we'd love to hear from you! Our Community Contributions continue to grow, if you have something you wish to share with others, then please let us know by raising a support ticket.
This month saw us pass a milestone as with our latest additions Talis Aspire Reading Lists now supports bookmarking from over 300 different sources. You can see the full list of sites and databases that Talis supports in the following article - where can I bookmark from?.
Bookmarking recognisers that have been added or updated this month:
- IEEE Explore
- Mobilization Journal
- Policy Quarterly
If you bookmark from a site and would like to see improvements, or if you’ve noticed that a site has been updated and isn’t bookmarking very well anymore, please raise a support ticket.
Things to Think About
Would you like to organise a review with the Talis team? This would be focusing on getting the most from Talis Aspire and ensuring it is working as efficiently as possible for your University. Please email Alison Spencer to organise a call at a time that works for you and your team.
To keep up-to-date with the latest work that Talis are doing, check out our blog.