Product Update Summary
We would like to update you on the progress of some of our key product development themes.
In this month's Product Update Webinar we looked at the latest developments in new list view and list edit, as well as the growing number of bulk actions which are available.
List UX Refresh
We now have over 65 universities, more than half of our user group, that are already using the new list view for all their lists. See the releases of interest section for some of the recent improvements.
Considering your rollout options of new list view? Then the following article may help you in making your decision, this has been updated with a useful video you can link to as student guidance: Recommended steps to rollout the new list view at your University.
Currently in progress for new list edit is the hierarchy and student number functionality, which we intend to add to new list view whilst in a transitional phase of new list view with classic list edit; this is close to completion. With review and publish workflows in progress, we will start to reach out to early beta partners in the next few weeks in readiness for list edit once we have reached a parity of key features as described.
If you have questions or wish to know more please raise a support case.
Changing Your Name?
If your University is rebranding or changing its name, it’s now possible to change the top institution node on your hierarchy to match your new identity. From your tenancy’s home page, simply click Browse hierarchy, then if you have the Edit nodes permission on one of your roles you can select Edit and change the name and description. For those that have Browse hierarchy hidden from the home page, you can add ?browse to the home page url to access the page directly.
Do you have a number of lists with unpublished changes or still in draft that you need publishing? If so, we are ready to roll out Bulk Publish for you. We want to do this with a small number of Universities first which is the same path we took with Bulk Archive. We have tested internally but want to do a few more controlled runs so we can monitor the job going through the processes and check the end results closely. This allows us to finetune if needed, before enabling for all. Please do raise a support case entitled 'Bulk Publish' to volunteer and we can take it from there.
Talis Aspire Reading Lists
- Bookmarklet extensions are now available for Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome and Firefox, details on installation can be found here
- Following feedback on bulk action permissions, we have now made a further adjustment to the roles and permissions so that View reports doesn't give automatic access to carry out Bulk Actions, such as Bulk Archive. We have enabled a permission on the System admin role called Perform bulk actions. We have updated the following article to reflect this change: What is a role and what is a permission
Talis Aspire Digitised Content
- We have added direct access to our support documentation in Talis Aspire Digitised Content (TADC). On the bottom right corner of any screen within TADC you will see the Help button; click it to search through relevant support articles or raise a request direct in from TADC. This replaces the Help pages that had become outdated as we have added improvements to TADC in recent months. This is the start of how we can improve onboarding of new users, and we hope to share more integrations like this over time.
You can stay up-to-date with our releases by regularly visiting our Product Update page which includes all improvements or fixes released in Talis Aspire.
Talis Aspire Reading Lists (TARL) and Talis Aspire Digitised Content (TADC) are permanently undergoing incremental improvements. Do you have an idea for a feature that you'd like to see implemented? If so, do raise it with us via the Ideas forum, together with a few lines explaining what value you think it will add to the system. Other users can also view your idea and vote for which features they would like to see developed.
7 ideas have been raised this month:
Talis Aspire Reading Lists
- Browse hierarchy - move +Add List button closer - Vote here
- All user profiles report to display only current roles - Vote here
- Show digitisation rejected - Vote here
- Include hierarchy in review interface - Vote here
Talis Aspire Digitised Content
- Can we add a 'no review / purchase required' tag to Reading List Reviews? - Vote here
- Suppress OpenURL link for digitisations - Vote here
For more details on the Ideas Forum, please see this article.
Support Articles of Interest
- Bulk List Actions - we are continuing to allow system administrators to carry out large scale changes that previously needed to be referred to our Consulting team. This article outlines how these functions are implemented
- Can't upload a PDF to Talis Aspire Digitised Content? This can often be caused by an encrypted file, discover a useful workaround in this article
Have you developed something innovative with Talis Aspire? If so, we'd love to hear from you! Our Community Contributions continue to grow, if you have something you wish to share with others then please let us know by raising a support ticket.
Talis Aspire Reading Lists now supports bookmarking from over 290 different sources. You can see the full list of sites and databases that Talis supports in the following article - where can I bookmark from?
Bookmarking recognisers that have been added or updated this month:
- Medicine Anthropology Theory (MAT)
- RaY (Research at York St John)
- Scientia Socialis
- University of Chicago Press Journals
If you bookmark from a site and would like to see improvements, or if you’ve noticed that a site has been updated and isn’t bookmarking very well anymore, please raise a support ticket.
Bookmarking from EBSCO EDS and EBSCOhost platforms
EBSCO have worked with Talis to create an app that improves the bookmarking experience, and creates better quality bookmarks from the EBSCO platforms (EDS and EBSCOhost). This app uses the information already brought together for exporting to reference management tools like EndNote and Mendeley. The app displays as a link or button on these interfaces. Please see following article for more information on the EBSCO COinS App.
Things to Think About
Would you like to organise a review with the Talis team? This would be focusing on getting the most from Talis Aspire and ensuring it is working as efficiently as possible for your University. Please email Alison Spencer to organise a call at a time that works for you and your team.
To keep up-to-date with the latest work that Talis are doing, check out our blog.