Product Update Summary
We would like to update you on the progress of some of our key product development themes; click here to remind yourself of the Talis development focus.
List View Refresh
We have several Universities from our beta phase that already have the list view refresh live with students. We continue to see live student access in the APAC region with this widening for their Trimester 3 sessions. We are enabling more universities for a staff side review, you will be contacted when this is available for your tenancy. List view refresh now fully support LTI Learning Management System section linking. Previously only full lists could be viewed in the new list view. This is enabling those beta participants who have embraced the LTI technology to now widen their participation with the new list view. Please raise a support case if you are interested in working with us in this beta phase.
Development has been progressing on list edit functionality for some while and this is a continuation of the list view refresh improvements. As we start to release those features, we will be working with universities that already have new list view access to further enable new list edit features at a time to suit their rollout to academics.
General Data Protection Regulation
Talis are aware of the change in regulations and the implications for the data that we currently store. We have already started the work to become General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) compliant and will be in full compliance by the due date. As with all changes and improvements made in Talis Aspire, we will communicate changes to the software or data via our usual Product Update channels. If anyone has any specific concerns, we ask this is raised as a support case.
Talis Aspire Digitised Content (TADC) - Update
We communicated our progress and plans towards the following key areas of improvement to universities using TADC at the start of October. Here is the latest on where we are up to with those developments.
Request form improvements - These changes have been released incrementally over the past month, and the latest updates are detailed in the Releases of Interest section below. Our aim was to make the request form easier to navigate, complete details and correct errors, by addressing confusing fields and adding in-product validation messages. We are near completion of this work with a final update to the “Needed By Date” field listening to user feedback and ideas.
One list multiple modules - TADC request and reporting areas have been updated to accommodate this extra course data from a single request. The request form has also been changed to accommodate this extra data. Changes in Talis Aspire Reading Lists (TARL) for the Hierarchy and Student numbers have also been introduced to make the completion of the course data on the request form accommodate this improvement. This piece of work also has the added benefit of improving the experience for TARL only customers too, by improving the workflow of entering this data and quality of the data for reviews and reporting. We will shortly be lifting the restrictions in TARL for raising a request with multiple modules attached, which is the final step in completing this theme of work.
Editing a live request - We have started to develop the workflows for users to edit live request metadata and course details. We will continue to update as these changes are released incrementally, so you can benefit from each change as it is released.
UK ONLY - A reminder that to “opt-in” to automated reporting to the Copyright Licensing Agency as part of our TPTP agreement, needs to be requested by sending a confirmation email to email@example.com by the 31st January.
Releases of Interest
Stay up-to-date with our releases by regularly visiting our Product Update page, where you can view all release information, including all improvements or fixes released in Talis Aspire. Product Update, is available from the top navigation bar on the Talis Support site. Releases that you may be particularly interested in are:
Talis Aspire Reading Lists (TARL)
- We have made a change to the behaviour of hierarchy data and associated student numbers.
This improvement is to support:
- Applying list student numbers from hierarchy data level
- Multiple module improvements in Talis Aspire Digitised Content
For full details please see support article: Hierarchy and Student Numbers
- When in the Reviews area of Talis Aspire, the width of the filter boxes has been adjusted so the dropdowns show the full line of text. This is particularly important for the "Assigned to" drop down.
Talis Aspire Digitised Content (TADC)
- We have made an improvement to change the display of the Notes tab within the request. The Notes tab was purely for the recording of additional pages that are referenced in the main section of text, often users were adding in the actual page numbers of the main digitisation chapter/section. This has been redesigned to make the intended use more obvious. All the recent changes are documented in this article: Talis Aspire Digitised Content - Request Form
- Following feedback, we also introduced an optional page range field on the TADC request form, when raising a Full Chapter request, as this detail is often known at this point, but we have not made this mandatory in case it isn’t known at the point of request, a Chapter title would suffice to progress the request. All the recent changes are documented in this article: Talis Aspire Digitised Content - Request Form
- We have made a further improvement to simplify the workflow and errors notification within the request form. All the recent changes are documented in this article: Talis Aspire Digitised Content - Request Form
- We have released an improvement to the Talis Aspire Digitised Content Request (TADC) Form - Needed by date field. We had received feedback that the needed by date in TADC was not providing the information users had hoped as the requesters were skipping the completion of the field leaving it to default to the start date of the scan. Once a time period had begun, then this date was in the past.
We have made the following improvements:
- Added guidance text - When is this resource needed?
- Made the 'Needed by' field mandatory
- Changed the calendar function to pick the date so that it now defaults to today's date or the course start date if this is in the future
All the recent changes are documented in this article: Talis Aspire Digitised Content - Request Form
- We have released an improvement that allows TADC users to assign requests to other users not just themselves. This will mean greater process management for many universities. This action can be taken from the “All requests” view and from within an individual request view. Thanks to University of Reading for co-funding this development.
- We have made an improvement to TADC where you can now raise a new request from a current one if the metadata is similar. This opens up a new request form and allows you to make the changes required and submit the request.
Our Community Contributions continue to grow. We cover a wide spectrum of topics from time saving top-tips to making the most of Google Analytics. If you have something you wish to share with others then please let us know by raising a support ticket.
Integration made easier with Learning Tools Interoperability (LTI)
At the beginning of the month, we learnt how University College Birmingham (UCB) is embedding Talis Aspire Reading Lists into their Virtual Learning Environment (VLE). In this webinar, David Renfree, Online Systems Librarian, explains how UCB put reading lists at the heart of their student experience, in using LTI integration in Canvas.
You can listen to the recording here
Find out more about the New List View
List view refresh in Talis Aspire Reading Lists, has been designed to take advantage of modern browser technology, increasing accessibility requirements and to be more engaging for students. In planning the listview refresh, we have spent time understanding how your students interact with reading lists and we have focused on two areas which we believe will improve student experience: performance and accessibility. To date, our list view refresh has been used on lists that are active for student use with a growing number of our Universities in a beta phase, helping us to further refine features through feedback. In this webinar, Helen Whiteman and Adam Price from the University of Auckland explain and demonstrate how they have been using the list view refresh with live lists, sharing the feedback they have received from users to date and a demonstration of some of their lists that are active for student use.
You can listen to the recording here
Talis Aspire Reading Lists now supports bookmarking from over 260 different sources. You can see the full list of bookmarks that Talis supports in the following article, where can I bookmark from?
If you bookmark from a site and would like to see improvements, or if you’ve noticed that a site has been updated and isn’t bookmarking very well anymore, please raise a support ticket.
Things to think about
Would you like to organise a review with the Talis team? This would be focusing on getting the most from Talis Aspire and ensuring Talis Aspire is working as efficiently as possible for your University. Please email Alison Spencer (firstname.lastname@example.org) to organise a call at a time that works for you and your team.
We understand this is a time that APAC Universities will be planning to rollover their reading lists and digitised content requests. If you would like to arrange a call with one of the Talis Services team to support you with rollover, please do raise a support ticket.
To keep up-to-date with the latest work that Talis are doing, do check out our blog.