This article is designed to talk you through the recommended steps to roll out the new list view at your University. There will be a number of factors you wish to consider, including:
- Timing of a change within the academic year
- Library staff familiarisation - staff side review
- Student awareness
- Methods of rollout
The new list view interface has been designed to be intuitive and in line with web design and browser capability that should be familiar. Starting a new academic year or semester with the new list view, could be ideal timing.
The new list view is available to all Talis Aspire universities, the students and academics will not be aware that anything has changed until you decide to enable it more widely. You may wish to return to this decision following a staff side review phase - see Step 2.
When something changes on an interface that is used for study this may raise questions from Students and Academics, so it is important that the Library staff first have the chance to familiarise themselves with the changes so they are prepared to support others.
Talis have created two roles that help with this stage of the rollout:
- List View Beta - Enables the user to see a List Beta button in order to view any list in the new list view
- List View Admin - Enables the user to default any list to 'New List View' so any other users visiting that list see the list in the desired status
You can control who to give the individual roles to using invites.
Student View Statuses:
- Tenancy default - means if you are using New List View as your default view for lists the list will display to students as New List View, however if you have not yet made that change, it will display as Classic List View, unless you choose one of the other options.
- New List View - will enable an opt-out beta for all users of the list. When attempting to visit the original list view, the user will automatically be redirected to the new list view. The 'View Classic' button will be available on the list, allowing the user to revert to the Classic List View if they choose.
- Classic - will enable an opt-in beta for all users of the list. The 'Try new list view' button will be visible in the original list view, allowing users to switch between the new and original list view options.
Once Library staff have the permissions it may be a good idea to arrange a feedback session or focus group so you can decide and plan the next steps in the rollout.
Having reviewed the changes you will see that they are too beneficial to hold back from the students. What may seem like a big change to us could be minimal to the average tech-savvy student, and find that you can reduce the level of guidance needed with it's improved ease of use.
You could even link to - Video for student lib guide on new list view.
If you are considering the rollout of the new list view to academics there are 3 ways in which you can switch lists to the new list view:
- Switching across so all lists are in the new list view by default - raise a support case with Talis support and we can discuss this option and confirm timings.
- Switching an individual list to a new list view, including giving others the permission to take this action
- Switching lists in bulk via the All Lists report with bulk actions