This article is a guide on how alerts work in reviews 2.0.
Reviews 2.0 works on a series of alerts in the system in order to help you with the workflow and processing of your lists.
Reviews home screen alerts
The first place you will see alerts is on the reviews home page:
2. Alerts - A new Alerts column provides a quick snapshot for the list. There are 3 types of alerts:
This indicates that the list has never been reviewed before.
This indicates that the list has previously been seen for review and that there are changes since the last review. The number is a direct representation of the number of items that have alerts on them in the review. If a single review item has an alert (it doesn’t matter how many individual alerts are triggered), then it counts as 1 towards this total. For example 1 item on a review that has 3 alerts on it, but on the all reviews page the alerts value against the review will be 1.
This indicates that the list has been reviewed previously in the old Reviews area but because it is the first time it is being seen in the Reviews 2.0, the system is unable to determine whether there have been any changes to any of the items on the list. The system is able to detect new items and later editions in such lists and if this is the case the list will be alerted using the numerical alert system in the previously described alert. It is only if there are no new items or edition alerts on a list previously reviewed in the old reviews area, will you see this alert.
If there have been no changes to the list since last requested then the alert column will be blank.
Please note: The alerts displayed in this view reflect the status of the list when the review was requested. Any changes to the list after it has been sent for review are not reflected in this view, but will be updated when performing the list review.
List level alerts
The second place you will see alerts is when you go into review a list:
On here you will see the following alerts:
This means the item is brand new to the list, if the whole list was brand new then all items would be flagged as new. The list above has been reviewed before and therefore only those newly added items are flagged as new but you can see they all appear at the top of the list saving you having to find them.
- Importance alerts will NOT be available the first time.
- Student number alerts will NOT be available the first time
- Note to library alerts will NOT be available the first time.
- Note to student alerts will NOT be available the first time.
The second alert is:
This indicates that since the last review, something on this item has changed. Note that this is not the number of alerts that have been flagged. Any one of the following alerts might have happened on this item:
- Importance - If the importance of an item has changed since the last review, it will be flagged up.
- Student Numbers - If the cumulative value (on this list and/or any other lists the item appears on) has changed since the last time this item was reviewed, this will be flagged up.
- Note for Library - If the library note has changed since the last time this item was reviewed, this will be flagged up.
- Note for Student - If the note for student has changed since the last time this item was reviewed, this will be flagged up
- Latest Edition - If the item is a book, and the edition that is in use is not the latest one, then it will be flagged up.
- In addition, if any of the review item alerts have been flagged up, the value will be in pink (on the right hand side) - further highlighting there is a change.
Please note: The alerts will not be removed when you set an outcome or comment for an item during the review. The purpose of the alerts is to provide an indicator of what has changed since the last review.
In this example we can see that the ‘Note for Library’, ‘Note for Student’ and ‘Student No.’ have changed since the last review of this item (on this Reading List)
The third alert is:
This indicates that the item has been reviewed previously in the old Reviews area but because it is the first time it is being seen in the Reviews 2.0, the system is unable to determine whether there have been any changes to the item.