Sometimes an academic will come to you and say they have a copy of the digitisation they want to use and can they use that in their reading list. Depending on the size of your team, the cost of scanning or the convenience of already having the scan you may want to allow them to upload at the point of placing the request.
- Saves the library time in locating, scanning and uploading the request
- Students will get access to scans immediately as long as cleared by copyright
- Utilising the resources that an academic has to hand
- The scan may not be good quality
- You don't know where the scan came from originally
- You lose control over what content is being used
There are two options if you decide to allow your academics to upload scans:
- Yes but force review before making live - this will refer the request to you in the library so that you can make decision if want to use the scan
- Yes - without review - this will mean as long as the request passes all other checks the scan will be used and made live on the list
These option are available under Admin - Settings - Policies and can be changed yourself.
Why when I use this method is my scan being accepted without being sent for review?
If you are setup as a user in Talis Aspire Digitised Content (TADC) and you are logged into TADC and make a request via the form directly or request from Talis Aspire Reading Lists (TARL), it will override the review self-scanned copies as a TADC user it sees you as authorised to upload anyway.
To test this yourself make sure you are not logged into TADC, log into TARL and make a request or make a request direct http://content.talisaspire.com/university/request/generate/digitisation
You will then find the upload is referred for you to review in TADC.