We are often asked how visitor numbers are calculated in Google Analytics and how this could differ from actual student numbers.
It is important to note the following:
- The "total visitors" count is not associated with having a user profile in Talis Aspire Reading Lists (TARL). This includes users visiting the site that may not be part of the university.
- Google Analytics has the concept of new and returning visitors, so a user may be counted more than once.
- they visit TARL via their computer at home, then on their mobile phone or another device.
- they then look at the site on a computer in the library,
- they clear their cookies on a device, they become a new user again.
This means that although Google Analytics is a good guide, is often not 100 per cent representative of user activity in your reading lists tenancy.