The Dashboard 2.0 feature (currently in BETA) is available from all published reading lists in Talis Aspire Reading Lists.
Dashboard helps your academics to make informed decisions around their reading list content by displaying the following information:
- usage analytics for each item.
- the quality of the metadata and provides suggestions for improvement.
- statistics on the student interactions - reading intentions and notes.
Update November 2018: Please note for New List View the reading list Dashboard is referred to as 'Analytics', and is available from the 'View' menu within the reading list.
How to access the Analytics/Dashboard
On lists where you are a List Owner or List Publisher, a Dashboard button will be available. In the New List View 'Analytics' is available from the View menu, and is not visible until the list is published.
Note: This button is visible on draft lists, however the list must be published before any data is collected.
What usage statistics are displayed in Analytics/Dashboard?
To get an overall picture on the usage of your list there are three general statistics available in Dashboard*:
- Page Views: the number of times your list has been viewed.
- Clicks: the total number of times people have clicked through to the item view of a resource from your list.
- Annotations: the number of student annotations/notes added to resources on the list.
For information related to specific resources on the list, you can also see:
- Clicks: the number of times people have clicked through to the item view of a specific resource from your list. This does not include usage statistics for when accessing a resource via the Online Resource button.
- Notes and Reading intentions: the number of student notes and usage break down of each reading intention used on that item.
The Dashboard defaults to view All time activity statistics. To change the date range for these statistics, simply click the All time activity button and select "Choose a date range".
*The Dashboard updates every 24 hours as the new data is processed and pushed through to the dashboard view.
How to use metadata improvements
On each item on your list there is a metadata rating. This judges how complete the information is in the bookmark. The ratings are:
- Good metadata.
- Metadata could be improved.
- Poor metadata.
By clicking this rating you can see what is keeping it from achieving a "Good metadata" rating (eg. Author is required). From this screen you can also jump to the edit interface, so that you can update the information as recommended, if the information is available to you.
Metadata ratings are looking for an entry in the following fields:
- Edition statement (where the work is book).
- Volume and Issue (where the bookmark is an article).
- Date of publication.
- Page start and page end (where the bookmark is for a chapter or an article).
- Publisher information (where the work is either a book or a journal).
- ISSN (where the work is a journal).
- ISBN (where the work is a book).
Don't have access?
If you do not already have Analytics/Dashboard 2.0 available in your tenancy, you can request this is switched on by raising a support ticket.
You can trial Dashboard 2.0 by adding "/dashboard.html" to the end of any published list as long as you have correct permissions already noted above.
When I add up the individual usage (clicks) of each item on my list, the sum is less than the total clicks of my list... why is that?
This is because the total clicks figure includes clicks for items that were clicked during the selected date range, but have removed from your reading list.
Why does the item's clicks not match the digitisation views statistics?
This is because the digitisation may have been viewed via the Online Resource button and not by clicking the title of the item.
Are clicks via the Online Resource button picked up in Dashboard statistics?
Can I export the dashboard analytics?
Exports are not available from the Dashboard. The Dashboard is designed as a tool to be used not just for analytics, but improving the reading list itself.
I've been checking data on a newly rolled over list but my clicks are not displaying in the dashboard?
Clicks are only logged once the time period to which the list is attached has begun. So any clicks prior to the starting date will not be counted.