Set up in Canvas
This setup could be completed within between 20 - 30 minutes. No code installation is required
- You should only setup the TARL LTI Tool if you are working through this mini-project
- Make sure you have setup an integration key and secret in Talis Aspire Reading Lists
- Go to your Canvas installation and find the Talis app to install.
- Go to the settings for your account
- Click the Apps tab.
- Search for talis and select it.
- Click the Add App button
- In the popup window, configure the app by filling in the following fields:
- Name — The name that you want the app to appear as.
- Consumer Key — The consumer key you created in step 1.
- Shared Secret — The shared secret created in step 1.
- Reading List Tenancy Short Code — Add your
<tenantshortcode>where requested - if you don’t know this, please contact support.
- Show in Course Navigation — Tick this box if you want a link to the TARL LTI tool to be forced into every course's navigation menu. Please note: you will have to remove and re-add the app if you ever want to change this option - all your existing tool links will not be affected. Some users have found the course navigation menu to be restrictive in Canvas, as it won't allow you to relink to a module if you choose the wrong one in error.
- Update: Talis have released a workflow to allow academics to relink lists and to get around the navigation menu limitation in canvas. September 2017
- Click Add App
- You can now use the external tool in your courses to add links to reading list content into your modules.
- You will now want to add custom parameters to enable Canvas to send the correct module code through to Talis Aspire. The setting in Canvas can be found by editing the installed app.
- Go to the Account Settings >> Apps
- Click on the tab to view installed apps
- Click on the edit button next to the App that you are wanting to edit.
- Enter the custom parameters in the custom fields box.