This article explains the process in order to make a digitisation request using Talis Aspire Reading List and Digitised Content.
This article takes you through the steps involved in creating your first Talis Aspire Digitisation Request, it does make two assumptions:
- That you have a Talis Aspire Reading List tenancy, and as an individual you have the following permissions:
- To create (or publish) a reading list
- That you have been setup with the copyright clearance permission
- That you have a Talis Aspire Digitised Content tenancy, and that you have been setup with access to this tenancy and can login.
If you are unsure if you have either of these two things set up, or know that you don’t, but would like them setup so that you can explore this process, then please raise a support ticket. NOTE: You aren’t able to carry out the steps below without both of the above points being in place.
Wearing your Academic Hat
- Step 1 - Log into your Talis Aspire Reading List tenancy
- Step 2 - Setting up the bookmarklet tool: Setup the bookmarklet tool (if you don’t have it on the computer you are working on)
- Step 3 - Bookmarking items: Bookmark some items using your library catalogue (ensure these are items that can be digitised i.e. Books, Journal articles etc) see this article for more details on how to bookmark.
- Step 4 - Create a list: Create a reading list of the items you have bookmarked
- Step 5 - Making a Digitisation Request: When you look at the items on the list that you are creating, you can now see “Request Digitisation”. Click this, and complete the form as directed. NOTE: You must amend the “Start” and “End” dates for the digitisation to cover the current date; this ensures you can see the item when the digitisation request has been fulfilled. Submit your digitisation request. Please note however your University may have opted to protect the dates and use the time periods dates assigned to the list, in which case if they are greyed out you don’t need to worry about them. You requirements for this can be discussed.
Wearing your Library Digitisation Team Hat
- Step 6 - Log into your Talis Aspire Digitised Content tenancy
- Step 7 - Finding the digitisation request: Once you have signed into Talis Aspire Digitised Content, in the top tool bar, you can click on “Requests”, and then “All Requests”. You will see the most recent requests at the top of the list.
- Step 8 - Dealing with the digitisation request: On the right hand side of the request click on “Actions”, and click on “View Details”; now really this is for you to respond to the points on the screen and deal with the request. The worklog shows you step by step the process the request has been through. Once you have uploaded the pdf, the request will proceed to status of “Live Fulfilled”; when this has happens, you (as the academic) will get an email stating that the digitisation is live (assuming the period of time that you made the request for covers todays date).
Wearing your Academic Hat
- Step 9 - Viewing live request: Go back to your list in Talis Aspire Reading Lists (sign in, Click on “My Lists”, Click on list name, Click “Edit List”); against the item you will now see “Digitisation live”
Wearing your Student Hat
- Step 10 - Viewing the request: Logout of Talis Aspire Reading List, on the homepage in the search box, enter the list name, open the list, click on the item that you digitised, and you can see how the student will see the digitisation.
If at any point during this process you get a little confused, please just raise a support ticket and the team will organise a time to walk you through the process.