This guide is designed to introduce to the All Lists report available in Talis Aspire Reading List (TARL).
The All Lists Report displays all lists in your tenancy (published, archived and draft). The report can then be refined using the available filters and clicking the “Filter Records” button.
Access to these reports are managed via a permission, so you can request that this permission is on any role you choose, see What is a role and what is a permission?
If you have this permission already the report tab will show on your home screen when you are logged in.
This is a very versatile report, showing a combination of published, draft and archived lists. You can search for a specific list owner’s name, or find all lists not linked to the hierarchy, you can also filter by lists that are private to check on how many there are for a given time period.
Why use this report?
This report can be useful for understanding the profile of lists in your tenancy.
- Identify orphaned lists: With appropriate use of the “Hierarchy Code” > "Is Empty" filter option it can be useful for identifying orphaned lists which are difficult to find (students won’t be able to browse to them, and they won’t be linked in the Learning Management System aka. VLE).
- Identify empty lists and list length: The “List count” filter and the ability to sort by list count also makes this report useful for identifying empty lists and for finding excessively long lists, or very short lists.
- Identify lists which have not been updated recently: The date filters for the “Last updated” date can be useful for identifying lists which have not been updated before, after or over a given time period.
- Identify lists that haven’t been reviewed or have not been reviewed recently: The inclusion of the Last Reviewed date can be useful for identifying lists which have not been reviewed before, after or over a given time period. The Review Status filter can be used to just identify those lists which have never had a review
- Identify lists that aren’t published in a given time period before rollover: The inclusion of Draft and Published with Unpublished Changes in the data, this will now be an easy task to manage in preparation for rollover, helping you contact List Owners to push forward changes to ensure they appear on next years’ lists.
- Identify who last published the list: The ability to see who last published the reading list is useful when a list has many List Owners. This is a column available in the exported csv file.
- Identify who archived a list: The ability to see who archived a reading list allows for increased visibility of the recorded events on lists. This is a column available in the exported csv file.
- Identify who is creating lists: Useful for identifying which users are creating lists - are the majority of your lists being created by your librarians, your academics, or academic support staff? This column is available in the exported csv file.
List Title: allows a text search of the List Title using the controls “Contains”, “Exact”, “Starts with”, “Ends with”, “Is empty” and “Is not empty”
List Owner: allows a text search of the List Owner’s surname using the controls “Contains”, “Exact”, “Starts with”, “Ends with”, “Is empty” and “Is not empty”
List Status: allows selection of lists that are Archived, Draft, Published and Published with Unpublished Changes, or a combination of multiple values chosen
Hierarchy Code: allows a text search of the hierarchy node to which a list may be linked using the controls “Contains”, “Exact”, “Starts with”, “Ends with”, “Is empty” and “Is not empty”
Review status: Filter for Lists that have been "Reviewed" or "not reviewed".
Is private?: allows the list to be filtered by whether it is publicly visible i.e. does not require institutional login to view (No) or not (Yes)
Include Empty Lists: allows the list to be filtered by Empty lists only or populated Exclude empty lists
From Created Date & To Created Date: allows the report to be filtered by the date the item was created. The From and To filters can be used individually to specify lists created after a given date or before a given date. Alternatively, both date filters can be used to specify a date range.
From Date Archived & To Date Archived: allows the report to be filtered by the date the list was archived. The From and To filters can be used individually to specify lists updated after a given date or before a given date. Alternatively, both date filters can be used to specify a date range.
Archived By: allows a text search of the user’s Name archiving lists using the controls “Contains”, “Exact”, “Starts with”, “Ends with”, “Is empty” and “Is not empty”.
Time period: allows the report to be filtered by a time period defined in the tenancy
From Date Last Published & To Date Last Published: allows the report to be filtered by the date the list was published The From and To filters can be used individually to specify lists published after a given date. Alternatively, both date filters can be used to specify a date range.
Rollover Copy: allows you to see which lists have already been rolled over, and those that have not. This filter is required when completing the targeted rollover process.
What’s exported to CSV?
By exporting to CSV (comma separated values) the data can be read by a number of software programmes and be manipulated further, through sorting, filtering and queries.
Additional information is also available in the export that is not initially visible on screen, due to the limited amount of real estate available on screen. Columns included in the exported report are:
- List Link
- Status - Draft, Published, Published with Unpublished changes, Archived.
- List Owner - Name of the list owner
- List Owner Link - link to the list owner's profile
- List Creator - Name of list creator
- Hierarchy Code
- Hierarchy Code Link
- Time Period
- Section Count
- Item Count
- Date Created
- Last Updated
- Last Published
- Published By
- Date Archived
- Archived By
- Last Reviewed
- Review Completed By
- Privacy Control
- Student Numbers - Student numbers on the list, not the hierarchy node.
- Default List View - This relates to when there was a classic and new list view. This is no longer relevant and will be removed from the report in the future.
- Rollover Copy - Title of the list created when the list was rolled over.
- Rollover URI - Link to the list created when the list was rolled over.
How up to date are the reports?
The reports show real-time data - as soon as you make a change on a list, this is reflected in the reports.
Regularly running the same report and have to set the filter each time?
Bookmark, or save to favourites in your browser, the report screen with the filters set, access via the bookmarked or favourite link then log in, filters are retained. If using different date ranges each time these will still have to be set manually.