This article is useful for both new implementations and users new to the hierarchy upload processes. It is recommended that you read Hierarchy data format before reading this article.
As part of implementing the basic Talis Aspire tenancy, you will be guided through getting the data for your hierarchy upload, usually from your Learning Management System or Student registry, wherever you deem the modules or unit information to be a true reflection of your current offerings. If your hierarchy is established but the process is new to you simply raise a support ticket and we can arrange a call to discuss the process with you.
What does the Hierarchy file look like?
The Talis Aspire Support Consultant managing your project can check your files and provide guidance on errors. We often find a call with you, the team managing your source data and our Technical Consultant can usually help answer any queries about locating data and formatting the file.
Prepare a file for each level in your hierarchy, starting from the top down e.g. Top Level - Faculty, Middle Level - School or Department and then Bottom Level - Modules or Units, this is so the parents can be linked to correctly.
- Prepare one or more hierarchy files and save somewhere that is easy to locate.
- Upload the file - this will initiate a ‘dry run’ which will report on changes that would be made, but not actually made live.
- Initiate a ‘hierarchy update’ from the review jobs screen. This will run the same set of checks as the dry run, but then will actually make the changes to the live hierarchy.
Ready to Upload
Once you have ironed out any issues with your files you are now ready to upload them.
- The Hierarchy Upload is accessed from the Admin tab, this is managed by those holding the System Administrator role.
- Select Hierarchy Upload.
- Then choose your .csv file from your saved location and click upload, the first thing the Hierarchy Upload does is to check for mandatory columns, correct column names, and file format.
- If this is successful it will go to a dry run, and display the following message:
- This is a background job, so you can carry on with other tasks, you can view progress on the Review jobs screen, accessible from the Admin tab or simply wait for email confirmation that the job has completed.
Dry Run Completed
- Once completed the Status will show as COMPLETE - SUCCESS or FAILED. If you get a FAILED status, don’t panic! Your Support Consultant can help you identify the issue and provide further guidance on what amendments will need to be made to your file. Your first upload is a learning tool to give you confidence to update yourself when needed. If you do ever come across any issues, you can always let us know via support.
- To review the dry run job, or to check any errors from your hierarchy upload select Admin from the top main menu, then review jobs from the drop down menu. This will display past hierarchy upload jobs and their outcomes. The failures from the reports will also be shown.
- The outcomes of the report can be generated to a report for you to identify the errors by selecting the 'Actions' option circled below and selecting: Export exemption report.
This report will help you identify the amendments needed to successfully upload your hierarchy.
- When you are at the stage of COMPLETE - SUCCESS the next step is to initiate the actual hierarchy update, select the actions and 'initiate hierarchy update', as below:
You are then able to start your full hierarchy update in full.
- A pop-up box will appear advising it is a background job and to confirm this is the action you wish to take, so just click Initiate Hierarchy Update.
- As stated this can take up to 48 hours, so again you can carry on with other tasks. You can view progress on the Review jobs screen, accessible from the Admin tab or simply wait for email confirmation that the job has completed. During this time all options for linking to the hierarchy and updating the hierarchy are hidden from view. Once the file upload has completed these options will be visible again. If these do not reappear, or if you have any concerns or questions, please raise a support case.
That’s the top level of your hierarchy in, now just upload the next file and follow the process. Remember by utilising the Parents column, they will attach to the hierarchy node above correctly. You can indicate more than one parent in this Parents column, where modules/units are taught across departments/schools.
On your first upload it’s important to remember we are there to support you through. Please ask if you are not sure.