There are a variety of ways you can create a bookmark. This guide is designed to help you add the Reading List Bookmarklet to your web browser so that you can bookmark resources to use in your Talis Aspire Reading List (TARL) tenancy. Other methods include:
- Manually creating a bookmark,
- Using the Lookup feature,
- Using the Quick add feature,
- Importing a RIS file,
- COinS bookmarking.
How do the bookmarklet tools work?
Talis Aspire uses a tool called a “bookmarklet” to allow you to capture resources that you wish to bookmark for future use in your reading lists. There are now two bookmarking tools available:
- The bookmarklet - this tool saves as a bookmark in your web browser, and once installed is found in your browser's bookmarks toolbar.
- The bookmarking extension - this is a downloadable extension available in the Google, Firefox and MS Edge stores.
How do I install the bookmarklet to my toolbar?
To install the bookmarklet to your bookmarks toolbar, follow these steps:
- Go to 'My Bookmarks' in your tenancy,
- Click on 'Install Bookmarklet',
- Follow the instructions in the tutorial popup.
You're now ready to bookmark from anywhere on the web.
What browsers are supported?
The bookmarklet is currently supported by Chrome, Firefox, IE and Safari, and each have a slightly different set of instructions.
Can I install the bookmarklet on a tablet device?
The bookmarklet is not officially supported for adding to tablet browsers due to the complexity and differences that every tablet has. The bookmarklet has not been designed for mobile devices.
The bookmarking extension
Individual users can download and install the bookmarking extension instead of using the traditional bookmarklet. Universities can also install into managed desktops.
These extensions also aim to resolve the following issues:
- Chrome - We have recently uncovered an issue with Google Chrome Version 69. that prevents the install of our Talis Aspire Bookmarklet, this is a short-term issue as the next update to Chrome will resolve this.
Note we do not intend to replace the existing bookmarklet in Talis Aspire at this time.
Adding to Microsoft Edge
Install the Talis Aspire Reading Lists Bookmarker extension by following these steps:
- Locate and open the Talis Aspire Reading Lists Bookmarker extension on the Microsoft Store.
- Click 'Get' - If not already logged in to your Microsoft account, you will be prompted to do so.
- Click 'Install'
- Once installed, click the slide to switch the extension 'On'. You should now see the Talis logo appear along side your other extensions.
- The first time you use the extension you will be prompted to select your institution from a dropdown list. Then click 'Save'.
Now you're ready to bookmark using the extension. If you have any questions or queries on using the extension please raise as support ticket.
Adding to Google Chrome
Install the Talis Aspire Bookmarking tool in Chrome by completing the following steps:
- Locate the Talis Aspire Reading Lists Bookmarking extension in the Chrome web store.
- Click 'Add to Chrome'
- A popup will appear confirming you'd like to add the extension to your browser, and confirms that the extension can access
talis-public.talis.comwhich is where it retrieves the list of institutions referred to in step 5. To install the bookmarking extension click 'Add extension'.
You should now see the Talis logo appear along side your other extensions.
- The first time you attempt to use this extension it will prompt you to select your institution.
- Click the dropdown and select your institution from the list, then click 'Save'. NOTE: You can change this setting by right clicking the Talis logo and selecting 'Options'.
Now you're ready to bookmark using the extension.
As with all Chrome extensions, you can add a keyboard shortcut to activate this extension instead of needing to click on the Talis logo. You can do this by:
- going to chrome://extensions/shortcuts,
- locating the 'Talis Aspire Reading List bookmarklet' extension,
- and adding in your own custom keyboard shortcut.
If you have any questions or queries please raise as support ticket.
Adding to Firefox
Install the Talis Aspire Reading Lists Bookmarker into Mozilla Firefox by following these steps:
- Locate and open the Talis Aspire Reading Lists Bookmarker in the Firefox Add-ons menu.
- Click 'Add to Firefox'.
- A popup will appear confirming you want to install the extension, including an alert that the extension needs your permission to access
talis-public.talis.com- this is so the extension can retrieve the institution list mentioned in step 5 of these instructions. Click 'Add'.
- To complete the extension setup, right click on the Talis logo and select 'Manage Extension'.
- Click the dropdown and select your institution from the list, then click 'Save'.
Now you're ready to bookmark using the extension. If you have any questions or queries, please raise as support ticket.