There are a variety of ways you can create a bookmark. This guide is designed to help you add the Reading List extension to your web browser so that you can bookmark resources to use in your Talis Aspire Reading List (TARL) tenancy. Other methods include:
- Manually creating a bookmark,
- Using the Lookup feature,
- Using the Quick add feature,
- Importing a RIS file,
- COinS bookmarking.
The bookmarking extension
Individual users can download and install the bookmarking extension which will allow them to bookmark resources from anywhere on the web. Universities can also install into managed desktops.
How do I install the bookmarking extension?
To install the bookmarking extension, follow these steps:
- Go to 'My Bookmarks' in your tenancy,
- Click on 'Install Bookmarking Extension',
- Follow the instructions in the tutorial popup. Detailed instructions for installation on various browsers are also provided below.
You're now ready to bookmark from anywhere on the web.
What browsers are supported?
The bookmarking extension is currently supported by Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge and Safari.
What if I can't install the extension?
If you are unable to install the bookmarking extension click 'I can't install the bookmarking extension' in the tutorial popup guide. This will guide you to install our alternative bookmarklet plugin.
Adding to Microsoft Edge
Install the Talis Aspire Reading Lists Bookmarking extension by following these steps:
- Locate and open the Talis Aspire Reading Lists Bookmarker extension on the Microsoft Store.
- Click 'Get' - If not already logged in to your Microsoft account, you will be prompted to do so.
- Click 'Install'
- Once installed, click the slide to switch the extension 'On'. You should now see the Talis logo appear along side your other extensions.
- The first time you use the extension you will be prompted to select your institution from a dropdown list. Then click 'Save'.
Now you're ready to bookmark using the extension. If you have any questions or queries on using the extension please raise as support ticket.
Adding to Google Chrome
Install the Talis Aspire Bookmarking tool in Chrome by completing the following steps:
- Locate the Talis Aspire Reading Lists Bookmarking extension in the Chrome web store.
- Click 'Add to Chrome'
- A popup will appear confirming you'd like to add the extension to your browser, and confirms that the extension can access
talis-public.talis.comwhich is where it retrieves the list of institutions referred to in step 5. To install the bookmarking extension click 'Add extension'.
You should now see the Talis logo appear along side your other extensions.
- The first time you attempt to use this extension it will prompt you to select your institution.
- Click the dropdown and select your institution from the list, then click 'Save'. NOTE: You can change this setting by right clicking the Talis logo and selecting 'Options'.
Now you're ready to bookmark using the extension.
As with all Chrome extensions, you can add a keyboard shortcut to activate this extension instead of needing to click on the Talis logo. You can do this by:
- going to chrome://extensions/shortcuts,
- locating the 'Talis Aspire Reading List bookmarklet' extension,
- and adding in your own custom keyboard shortcut.
If you have any questions or queries please raise as support ticket.
Adding to Firefox
Install the Talis Aspire Reading Lists Bookmarking extension into Mozilla Firefox by following these steps:
- Locate and open the Talis Aspire Reading Lists Bookmarking extension in the Firefox Add-ons menu.
- Click 'Add to Firefox'.
- A popup will appear confirming you want to install the extension, including an alert that the extension needs your permission to access
talis-public.talis.com- this is so the extension can retrieve the institution list mentioned in step 5 of these instructions. Click 'Add'.
- To complete the extension setup, right click on the Talis logo and select 'Manage Extension'.
- Click the dropdown and select your institution from the list, then click 'Save'.
Adding to Safari
Install the Talis Aspire Reading Lists Bookmarking extension into Safari by following these steps:
- Visit the app store from your Mac or other Apple device
- Search for Talis Aspire
- Click on Install and then Open
- This will take you to the extensions area of Safari where you can enable the extension
- Right-click on the Talis icon that has now appeared in your bookmarks bar and choose 'Manage Extension'
- On the preferences tab, select your institution from the drop-down and click 'Save'
Now you're ready to bookmark using the extension. If you have any questions or queries, please raise as support ticket.