The basic premise behind a list owner is that lists should be linked to the academic delivering the course or module, and that students should be able to use the academic's name to search for their list from the home page. This is especially helpful when they cannot recall the unit or module code or name.
Any academic that has created a profile in Talis Aspire Reading Lists (TARL) can be assigned the list owner.
When you select a new list owner, you can select to just assign them the ownership of the list OR you can "Save with Publisher role". This means they will have the List Publisher role scoped to that list only. They no longer need to accept the invite via this route but will still be notified via email that they have been assigned ownership and are a List Publisher for the list. If you assign yourself as list owner, no notification will be sent.
There are two ways to assign a list owner:
Method 1 - New List View and New List Edit - Assign List Owner
- On New List View or New List Edit, select 'Assign list owner' from the Edit menu
- Type in the name or email address of the user you wish to add. This starts the search straight away, narrowing results as you type. You can also select 'Assign to me' from this screen to set yourself as the list owner. If you can't find the academic, it may be that they haven't created a profile yet in TARL.
- Selecting the user from the drop down menu will add them to the list of owners on this assignment screen - You must then click either 'Save' or 'Save with list publisher role' for the change to take effect. Clicking 'Cancel' will cancel the change and revert back to the existing list ownership.
- To replace a list owner, simply repeat the steps above, there is no need to remove the original list owner first. Remembering to click either Save or Save with list publisher for the change to take effect.
- To remove a list owner and make the list unassigned, click the 'Remove' icon next to the user's name and role. Remember to click Save for the change to take effect. The modal without an assigned list owner looks like this
A short video demonstrating the above processes:
Method 2 (Classic List Edit Only) - List Creation
- When creating a list with Classic List Edit, you will be asked to "Assign a list owner". You can choose from the following three options:
- "I am list owner" - assign yourself as the owner.
- "Search for list owner" - assign another user as the owner.
- "Decide later" - does not an assign an owner right now.
- When the "Assign list owner" link is clicked, the "Search for list owner" popup appears. This allows you to search for a user with a profile in TARL. If you can't find the academic, it may be that they haven't created a profile yet in TARL.
List owner and My Lists
When assigning a list owner, the list will always be added to the assignee's My Lists collection unless:
- The person being assigned is already the owner of the list.
- The person being assigned has previously removed that list from their My Lists collection.
If you are manually copying a list on behalf of another person, in order for the list to get added to their My Lists, you'd need to complete the following steps:
- Fully un-assign and then re-assign the list.
- Ensure the user you're assigning the list ownership to hasn't previously had and removed the list from their My Lists collection.
Assigning Multiple List Owners
We do plan to revisit the ability to assign multiple contributors in the meantime there is a method for achieving this to aid the searching of a list - Assigning multiple list owners