In 2024, we've officially launched our joint Technology from Sage Community Space - on Discord! Thank you for joining us. As Discord may not be something you've used previously in your role or with other vendors, this article will be a short guide with basic Discord guidance pertaining to our Community Space server specifically.
Please keep in mind that this is not a replacement for the support desk - If you have an issue with a product that is impacting your work, please raise support tickets and our team will answer promptly!
We intend for this to be a space in which you can have discussions with and ask other universities how they are using Talis Aspire, Lean Library, or Sciwheel. While we will be monitoring the community space, it is not feasible for us to help you with technical issues here.
To get to our Discord, you'll need to be invited via an invite link. Once you click on the Discord invite link shared from TfS or from your colleagues, you'll be taken to a screen that looks like this:
If you do not have a Discord account, you will be prompted to create one with an email address and password. We recommend you use your university email; however, if this is not possible, you can use any email address and still access our Discord server.
After you log in, you will see a series of questions pop up on your screen:
Please answer these in accordance with the software you use from TfS.
After you answer the onboarding questions, you will see our server alongside some recommended tasks. You've made it! We understand it may be a bit confusing at first glance. To simplify:
- The #welcome channel is a place to wave "hi" to your colleagues and say a quick "hello". You will only be able to send a message once every 6 hours in this channel. This is to make sure general conversation is directed to the appropriate places within the server!
- The #introduction channel is exactly what it sounds like - a place to introduce yourself. We recommend writing a short introduction here including your role and university so others know who you are! You might also consider editing your profile to include job title and university. This also has a 6-hour limit, aimed at reducing conversation in this channel.
- The #general channels refer to the channels where general topics of conversation related to the product in question should be raised. There are 3 general channels in our server, one for Lean Library, one for Talis Aspire, and one for the Developer Community. By default, you will be able to see all three. Please try to use the correct general channel for the product you're inquiring after!
- The product specific discussion channels allow you to create a topic and discus it in more of a discussion board style of interaction that prevents deep conversations getting muddled across many chat messages. Feel free to dive in with your own questions.
- #service-announcements are where general updates affecting the day-to-day use of Talis Aspire or Lean Library will be made. This will eventually replace our Service Announcements mailing list you receive.
- You may notice channels that do not have a # next to the name, and instead have an audio icon. These channels are voice and video chat channels. Events, like the Developer Community catch-up, will be hosted in these channels. Clicking on the channel name will automatically connect you to the audio chat. You can hang up by pressing the phone icon as shown below:
After you have joined the community space, you will see an 'Events' menu at the top of the sidebar. This is where you can sign up to be notified about events. Clicking the heading will show you a list of all current events and you can click into them for more info.
Click the 'Interested' button to get notified when this event is happening.
Recommendations and General Guidance
- Create a "server profile" with a short introduction (similar to what you'd put in the introduction channel) including the university you are associated with. This will help us and your colleagues identify you in conversations and reduce clutter in general chat asking after who you are!
- Please do read the rules, and keep in mind that this is not a replacement for the support desk - If you have an issue with a product that is impacting your work, please raise support tickets and our team will answer promptly! We intend for this to be a space in which you can have discussions with and ask other universities how they are using Talis Aspire, Lean Library, or Sciwheel. While we will be monitoring the Space, it is not feasible for us to help you with technical issues here.
- There are some channels that are hidden by default, depending on the questions you answered at during onboarding into our server. If you ever would like to change your answers or add different channels to your server main page, please visit Channels and Roles at the top left of your screen.