Product Update Summary
We would like to update you on the progress of some of our key product development themes; click here to remind yourself of the Talis development focus.
Talis Insight Europe 2017
It is that time of year when Talis brings together library leaders and professionals in Higher Education, to explore the role of libraries in the institutional strategy and impact of technology on learning and teaching.
This webinar gives you a preview of what is happening at Talis Insight Europe 2017 on the 25th and 26th April. The Services Team are joined by a number of representatives from universities talking about how attending the event in previous years has inspired them, shaped projects and built valuable contacts to support and share best practice with.
Making changes at your university?
Please do remember to tell us if you plan to make changes to any of the systems we integrate with, such as Library Management Systems, OPAC, Discovery systems, Link Resolvers or Identity Providers. A change to these without speaking to us first may cause issues with the use of the Talis Aspire Reading Lists and Talis Aspire Digitised Content. Giving us notice of these changes means we can discuss the process and options, schedule consultancy or support if required so there is no impact to your student, academic, or library colleague users.
Reviews 2.0 Beta update
We now have 62 universities who are using Reviews 2.0 and have turned off the old interface. If you are not one of the 62 then we will be reaching out to you to help you make that transition. If you have any questions around reviews, or would like to transition but have not been contacted yet then do raise a support ticket and you can view the FAQ’s here.
Releases of interest
As you know, Talis is agile in our development, which means we make multiple small releases and updates to our products on a weekly basis. This allows us to release improvements as they are ready, while maintaining our 99.99% uptime throughout 2016. We have implemented a Product Update page where you can view all release information including all improvements or fixes released in Talis Aspire. This site is available from the top navigation bar on the Talis Support site. Releases that you may be particularly interested in are:
- Talis Aspire Digitised Content - Request identification and edition checking. We have decided to remove the TADC dependency on xISBN. We are doing so in two phases,
- Demarcating the xISBN request identification step from the rest of the copyright checks (released today - 20th April 2017)
- Introducing a new data source as an alternative to xISBN.
- This information covers the first phase with follow-up work planned shortly to address the second phase. Talis Aspire Digitised Content - Request identification and edition checking
- All Reviews Report - for those of you who made the switch to Reviews 2.0 you will now see the All Reviews Report option under the Reports tab in your tenancy. More on this report can be read here.
- Reviews export on individual lists - more on this feature can be found here
- For those of you who are eagle-eyed you may have noticed a new Role appear in the invites and permissions area called “List view beta” this role has been created in preparation for the new list UX that is being worked on. (This role only appears if we have made changes to your roles and permissions in the back end, so if you do not see it then there is no need to worry at this stage) at the moment this role will not give you any permissions or be linked to the new list view. If you haven’t yet seen the new list UX do take a look at this video and if you are interested in the beta raise a support ticket.
We have launched a new section on our support.talis.com homepage called Community Contributions. We already have a wealth of community contributed webinars listed there, but we are now looking for other sorts of best practice or top tips you wish to share. These may be small hints regarding the bookmarking from a particularly tricky resource, or reporting filters or Google Analytics that prove very useful for a monthly task. If you have something you wish to share with others, then please let us know by raising a support ticket.
Newly added this month: Primo Explore Integrations with Talis Aspire
This article outlines an integration submitted by Tim Graves of the University of Sussex.
Support articles of interest
Talis Aspire Reading Lists now supports bookmarking from over 260 different sources. You can see the full list of bookmarks that Talis supports in the following article, where can I bookmark from?
This month, we have updated several existing recognisers and added new recognisers for the following sites:
- Open Textbook Library
- Oxford University Press
- Cambridge University Press
- Elsevier Publishing
- Garland Science
If you bookmark from a site and would like to see improvements, please raise a support ticket.
April's developer community newsletter looking forward to the technical tracks of Talis Insight and summer infrastructure changes. Don’t miss out on next month’s newsletter. To register to join our developer community, please email email@example.com.
Things to think about
Would you like to organise a review with the Talis team? This would be focusing on getting the most from Talis Aspire and ensuring Talis Aspire is working as efficiently as possible for your University. Please email Alison Spencer (firstname.lastname@example.org) to organise a time that works for you and your team to have a call.
To keep up to date with the latest work that Talis are doing, do check out our blog.