This article covers how to manually create a new bookmark and update an existing bookmark using the lookup feature within Talis Aspire Reading Lists (TARL).
What is the lookup feature?
The Lookup feature in TARL is a bookmarking tool that you can use when creating a new bookmark or editing a bookmark. It allows you to search for an ISBN or Local Control Number (LCN) in your catalogue, or for a Digital Object Identifier (DOI) on Crossref. If a match is found in your catalogue or on Crossref, Talis Aspire pulls the metadata through from that system into the bookmark. This is the same feature that is completed if an ISBN or DOI is found when bookmarking using the bookmarklet.
Using the Lookup feature
You can use the lookup feature in two ways:
1. Create a new bookmark
This is a useful method for when you have an ISBN or DOI for a resource you want to bookmark to your list.
- From the main navigation bar, select 'My bookmarks'.
- Select 'Add' from the menu on the right-hand side of your screen. This brings a dropdown menu where you select 'add manually'. This takes you to the edit metadata screen where you can manually enter details of a resource.
- Using the dropdown menu located at the bottom of the page, select to Lookup via: ISBN, DOI or LCN.
- Enter the ISBN, DOI or LCN into the blank box and click 'Lookup'. If a match is found in your catalogue or Crossref, the bookmark will be filled with information from that source of truth.
- You can now review the metadata, updating as you choose. Once you are happy with the metadata you are ready to create your bookmark.
2. Update an existing bookmark
This option is useful if you have bookmarked an item and identified a later edition in your catalogue.
To update the bookmark with a later edition complete the following steps:
- From the edit metadata screen, open the Lookup dropdown menu and select 'ISBN'.
- Enter the ISBN of the latest edition into the blank field and click 'Lookup'. The bookmark's metadata will be replaced with the details of the matching later edition.
- You can now review the metadata, updating where you choose, and save the updated bookmark.